Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Easter Eggs



  Sew, the other day I had craft night and two of my friends were working on some pretty cool projects.  One was talking about a pattern she had found to make fabric eggs with a pocket (an environmentally friendlier idea then plastic eggs) and another was using felt to make a Dalek (Doctor Who reference).  I decided to combine the two ideas.  First, use a piece of paper and cut out the shape of an egg.  Next put two pieces of felt together with the pattern and cut.


Using strips of felt (I used leftoevers from all the eggs I cut out) sew them on one side with the strips going over the edges.  Then flip it over and trim off the excess.



Next, piece the two felt pieces together.  Start on the bottom interior.  Make sure your thread (I used cross stitch thread.....not sure what it's called.) is knotted.  Now pull it through to the backside.  When you make the next stitch place it through the top piece of your egg.  You'll notice that if you pull it straight through you get a regular stitch.  What you want to do is place your needle through that loop of thread from your last stitch.  I know that's confusing, but what you want is that line of thread on the top.  Give it a try a couple of times, you'll get it.  :)


 Finally, sew all the around leaving the bottom open, sew that you have an opening to put Easter goodies into!  After this project I am all excited about felt.  These were fun and super easy to make.


*  Thanks to Kim, I know the stitch I was trying to describe is called a blanket stitch.  Here's a link to help out.  http://sewing.about.com/od/beginner1/ss/blanketstitch.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment